Cocaine Addiction: The Effects and Cure

There are different methods of administering cocaine into the bloodstream. As a stimulant, it can be smoked like cigars or snorted into the nostrils. However, the method of injection doesn’t affect the efficacy of the stimulant. This substance is also addictive. Statistics have shown that about 10% of cocaine sniffers are addicted while the remaining 90% take it for leisure. On this basis, the addiction is measured based on the number of days in a week that the drug is ingested.

Just like other addictive substances, cocaine is capable of inducing problems in the human system. The conditions can be short- or long-term depending on the level of severity and the result is usually irreversible. The focal points in the body that are most affected include the central nervous system, the brain, and the cardiovascular system. Nevertheless, snorting or smoking the substance results in similar problems. Therefore, there is no escaping the effects of cocaine no matter the method of administration.

Short-term effects of cocaine are general alertness, anxiety in some users, increase in heart rate and blood pressure, a decrease in appetite, increase in energy and body temperature, and dilation of pupils.

Some of the short-term effects of the drugs are desirable such as energy and mental alertness which are significant for certain jobs. But these effects only last until the effect of the drug itself begins to wear off in the bloodstream. Due to this, the victim gets a sudden urge to administer the drug again. Hence, addiction begins.

Recreational and periodical users of cocaine are the set of people that feel the long-term effects of the drug the more. The absorption of dopamine, a substituent of the body system, is affected. Because of this, there will be an increased urged to try the drug again. The subsequent injection will result in long-term effects such as:

  • Anxiety, paranoia and mental disturbances, restlessness, irritability, mood swings, and hallucinations
  • A combination of these effects in the body culminates in visible signs such as:
  • Fluctuations in the heartbeat which may result in cardiac arrest,
  • Strokes and seizures
  • Headaches, associated with nausea
  • Gangrene
  • Decreased appetite leading to malnutrition
  • Respiratory problems
  • Digestive problems
  • Abdominal pain

Some individuals put in extra efforts to be rid of the effects of cocaine and this leads to withdrawal problems. The general symptoms that are associated with addicts are confusion, hyperactivity, paranoia, agitation, and hallucinations.

Some examples of physical symptoms that are visible with immediate effect are chills, nausea, cramps, fever, and depression. There are other symptoms that aren’t enlisted here but it doesn’t mean that all addicts must exhibit a combination of these symptoms. For the purpose of research, this is referred to an attempt to undergo cocaine detoxification.

From the effects of cocaine addiction, it can be inferred that the drug can result in irreversible and life-threatening consequences. It is important that sufferers seek immediate help before the condition deteriorates further than this stage.

It is also important to note that the effects of cocaine addiction are more painful than the feeling of addiction. Cocaine detoxification is rendered by cocaine addiction treatment centers that offer some form of rehabilitation for people struggling to be sane again.

Comments are closed.